When it comes to the biggest pop culture gathering in the East Coast, the New York Comic Con is among the top contenders. Everything about the latest and the best in comics, movies, television shows, graphic novels, video games, toys, anime, and manga are all here in this one enormous event that happens once a year. The New York Comic Con features autograph sessions for the fans and screening rooms for sneak previews of upcoming movies, tv shows, and video games. Comic con is also an opportunity for many to feature new creations and ideas.
The New York Comic Con is a very large event. Last year, this event recorded over 151,000 attendees and it is recognized as the second largest event in New York City. Some even say that the New York Comic Con dethroned the San Diego Comic Con as the largest comic book convention in the country.
Why Are Comic Cons So Popular?
Every year, thousands of fans swarm the Comic-Con International in San Diego and the New York Comic Con. Why do people from all walks of life go to these comic book conventions and why are they so popular? There are a lot of reasons why this type of event has a very large following and it’s popularity has spread around the world. Here are just some of the top reasons for its popularity:
Click HERE to visit the TTS store filled with original products!
- Comic Cons are the main venue for producers, publishers, and game creators to announce their biggest news. This is where fans get to see and hear the latest news about their favorite video games or the long awaited movie trailers.
- You get to meet your favorite stars, creators, artists, and writers. Star celebrities can sign your comics or take a picture with you and shake your hand. For most fans, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet and greet their idols and even talk to them about their latest works and creations.
- Fans can wear costumes and transform themselves into their favorite characters. Aside from the celebrities, these cosplayers turn into an instant star and they draw the attention of everyone because of their awesome costumes.
- There are many great items that can only be found in the convention. Comic book creators feature their latest creations and they often bring their hand printed comics to be sold at the convention. These convention items can be comic books, trading cards, action figures, t-shirts, and toys, which you can purchase for yourself or for your loved ones.
- Comic Cons are very popular because people can mingle with others who have the same interest. This are also chances for online gamers and chatters to meet face to face for the first time.
- Everybody loves freebies and comic book conventions are rich in freebies. Many attendees go home with loads of freebies and some of the items are even one-of-a-kind and unique. Freebies can be promotional items, posters, video games, and so much more.
- Most comic cons, especially the big ones, are held for two or three days. This is a great opportunity for a family getaway vacation.
Who Attends Comic Cons?
If you are going to attend a huge Comic Con for the first time, you may be surprised to see different types of people in this convention. As this type of event becomes more popular every year, it draws so many people from all walks of life and from different backgrounds. There are lawyers, doctors, college students, professors, athletes, businessmen, writers, and many others coming from different professions. Comic Cons are the perfect excuse for anyone to transform into a geeky kid for one day and have a blast with their families and friends.
The Biggest Worldwide Comic Con
The biggest and the most spectacular event is the Comic-Con International held in San Diego. This is the largest, comic book convention in the United States followed by the New York Comic Con. The Comic-Con International started small, just like the other comic book conventions, until it grew every year and developed a huge following. Video game studios and movie producers became involved with the Comic Con and it soon became one, big, star-studded event where pop culture fans gather every year. There are crazy, after-event parties and other big events that take place before and after the San Diego Comic-Con International.